Tuesday, June 22, 2010

New FMF intern, new blogger!

Hi fellow feminists and womynists-

My name is Amanda Lotspike and I am a new intern at the Feminist Majority Foundation’s Choices Campus Leadership Program in LA. I am currently working towards my BA in International Relations and Women and Gender Studies at the University of California, Davis. I am also a transfer student from UC Santa Cruz, and I am lucky to have taken classes in not just one, but two different Women and Gender/Feminist Studies programs.

As a student at UC Davis I volunteer with the Women’s Resources and Research Center on campus, I am part of Prytanean Women’s Honor Society (a community-service based group of high-achieving women), and I am Vice President of the newly formed FMLA on campus started by Alison Tanner-a fellow FMF intern over in DC, and Ali Bolbach-a previous FMF DC intern. (We are currently organizing a womyn’s leadership conference this upcoming winter!).

I have a penchant for reading feminist blogs and non-fiction books and crafting raw desserts from raw nuts, coconut oil, and dates. The most influential books I have read to date include Chandra Talpade Mohanty’s Feminism Without Borders, Dipesh Chakrabarty’s Provincializing Europe: Postcolonial Thought and Historical Difference, and Michel Foucault’s History of Sexuality, and I am currently reading bell hook’s Feminist Theory: From Margin to Center. Unfortunately, I can’t boast of a single “spark” moment that triggered my interest in feminism, rather, it has been a gradual process (be it challenging and uncomfortable) of awareness about how my actions contribute on a daily basis to upholding sexism, racism, classism, and other forms of discrimination. As an intern with FMF I hope to further my awareness and gain valuable skills that will help me channel my passion into activism. I have so much to learn from you all!

No comments: