Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Highlights from the Wild World of Sociology

In these past few weeks at FMF I've looked at a lot of blogs, and I have to say that Sociological Images might be my favorite (after this one, duh). It never ceases to entertain and educate me. Anyways, enough about my deep, undying love of sociology.... Today there's a wealth of posts that I wanted to share with you!

First off, there's the guidelines for judging beauty queens in the 50's, and the utter ridiculousness of what very specific characteristics were required to win. That's followed by a clip of the Daily Show that talks about the ban on burkas in France, and the comparative freedom in the US. As if that wasn't enough, there's an icky Dutch commercial, an anylsis of those ads about making your eyelashes grow better (which have boggled my mind for weeks), and a piece about my favorite organization that think it's cool to use objectifying ads.

As feminists, I think it's extremely important that we look at our world and see how the everyday things like tv ads and books that rely on biological essentialism, sexism, and other similar forms of thinking inform the lives of every one of us.
Photo Courtesy of D Sharon Pruitt at www.flickr.com

No comments: