Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Inaugural Festivities in Washington D.C.

Let me start with a BIG “woot-woot” and hurrah! 

A week ago this Tuesday, an estimated 1.8 million people converged upon our nation’s capitol to witness and celebrate the swearing in of the 44th US president: Barack Obama. 

My voice still hoarse and my feet still aching, I am happy to report that I was one of those nearly 2 million.

My trip back east for the Inauguration of Barack Obama was pretty amazing to say the least. Sandwiched between two venerable days of significance - Martin Luther King, Jr. Day and the 36th anniversary of Roe v. Wade - I knew that what was in store for the Inauguration and the week ahead was an extremely special occasion to celebrate all things free, equal and feminist.

Wanting to take part in as many Inaugural festivities as possible, I arrived in D.C. early on Sunday morning and made my way to the National Mall and the Lincoln Memorial. This was the site for the We Are One: The Obama Inaugural Celebration Concert and I wanted to get a good spot for the show. The performances were powerful. It was both fun and inspiring to watch such a diverse gathering of actors and musicians commemorate a hope and vision for the future where liberty, justice and freedom do exist for all.

On Tuesday, January 20, 2009, I witnessed - along with 1.8 million of my closest friends - the swearing in of this country’s first African-American president, Barack Obama. Acknowledging the difficult times our country is in, “that the challenges we face are real,” President Obama made it clear that we will meet these challenges, but not without sacrifice and not without choosing “hope over fear, unity of purpose over conflict and discord.”

Echoing a familiar feminist principle, President Obama charged each one of us - whether watching on TV or in-person - to choose our better history and work, work hard, to ensure that from generation to generation we build a future and make real the belief that all are equal, all are free and all deserve a chance to pursue their full measure of happiness. 

Yes, the voices of the people have been heard. This is what a feminist future looks like.


No comments: