Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Yet another new FMF blogger!


My name is Lily Armstrong, and I'm a new intern at the Los Angeles branch of the FMF. I'm probably the youngest on the blog, as I'm not even in college yet. Actually, I'll only be a 10th grader next year, but that doesn't by any means make me unopinionated!

I must first say that in my fourteen years on this good planet, I cannot remember a time when I wasn't a feminist. I was truly raised in it, due to my wonderful parents' involvement with clinic defense. In fact, it was through clinic defense that they met in 1990.

It is difficult for me to note any certain moment when I became a feminist, as I truly feel I have always been one. I've known about feminist issues for many years now, and have always been very involved and interested in them. I consider myself to be an activist, starting when I took part in the 2004 March for Women's Lives in Washington at eight years old.

My interest became more sophisticated in middle school, when two fantastic classes (taught by one fantastic teacher) in 7th and 8th grade allowed me to argue my opinions more freely than ever before. It was in 7th grade that I first attended the FMF Global Women's Rights Awards, which were very inspiring to me. Last summer, I interned at the FMF for about a month, which further developed and reinforced my beliefs. This summer, I hope to develop them even further.

Wherever I end up for college, which for me is still a ways away, I'll probably major in Women's Studies. Most of my other interests at least tangentially involve music, writing, and 1960s culture.

4 comments:

Angie said...

woooo! welcome to the fmf family!

Unknown said...

Glad you're here. Can't wait to hear your point of view!

Sara Pressey said...

I love your feminist history! Like Angie said, welcome!

~ said...

I'm so impressed by your early involvement! I can imagine that you feel quite a bit more mature than your peers. Please consider Bryn Mawr for college :) It's a great institution for feminists. I'll be a senior there and I'm the student representative of the Gender Studies department. Enjoy your internship!