Friday, March 26, 2010

This Year's NYFLC!

For those of you who missed it, last weekend was the
Thanks so much to all 422 attendees
from 101 schools
who came all the way from 30 states + DC and Canada!


The NYFLC was my first conference and it was a great experience. Being among hundreds of people who are passionate about the same issues as you is really empowering. Also, to learn about issues that affect people around the world from people who are really involved in those issues is a unique experience.

I highly recommend attending next years conference to any feminist because it is a great opportunity for students from around the country to learn about the issues affecting women and what they can do about them. They also got a chance to take action at our Congressional Lobby Day on Capital Hill on Monday. Overall, it was an awesome event that covered a breadth of issues from reproductive rights to women in the economy to women in positions of power just to name a few.


I don't know if I can pick out a favorite part of the conference, but one thing I really appreciated was that the schedule allowed for options in the sessions that you could attend. Because there are so many issue areas that affect women, there are always going to be people who have different interests and passions. This format gave people with varying interests the opportunity to pick and choose what they wanted to learn about.



Awesome Campus Organizers (from left): Jacqueline, Tania, Allie, Danielle, Patrice, Emily, and Val

Major kudos to FMF's campus organizers and the rest of the FMF staff for putting together such a great event. They complied an impressive cast of speakers from so many different issue areas, including Congresswomen Eleanor Holmes Norton (DC) and Donna Edwards (MD)!!


2 comments:

AbsentOfGrace said...

I was there! Though I couldn't find myself in that top picture, I did find a few familiar faces. It was a blast! It I wasn't graduating this semester, I would definitely go back again.

Anonymous said...

I had a great time! I really enjoyed the ecofeminism and women in the environment panels this year!

It was so great to see everyone and reconnect! I love you all!