Friday, April 24, 2009

From the mouth of babes

Perhaps it is because I am the proud "Auntie" of two budding young feminists (and am known to include words like "patriarchy" and "suffrage" into their elementary school vocabulary lists) that I have come to develop a soft spot for feminist kids. I just eat them up.

As my co-workers can tell you, I am no stranger to feminist gear for the younger crowd: coloring books, tees, band aids, books. I can't get enough of it.

So it is no wonder that dear Ruby captured my heart:



As you know, it goes far beyond cheeky T-shirts and books about Alice Paul. This is where the foundation of fairness, right and wrong, and equality is set in motion. Our toys, language, and behavior can all play a role in reinforcing gender stereotypes.

Admittedly, I'm still trying to work on the little things, too. Like saying "you all" instead of "you guys" and referring to my peers as "women" and not "girls." It's a habit I'm trying to break and prevent in my young nieces. What are some of the things you are doing to correct gender stereotypes and promote a feminist environment?

2 comments:

WendyM said...

Love it! I also thoroughly enjoyed her prioritization of life goals:
1. pop star...4. doctor...6. mom.

Rock on, Ruby. Rock on!

Aviva DV said...

That's freaking adorable! Thanks for sharing.