Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Intro to Feminist Theory on HBO?

Women and Hollywood reported today that playwright Theresa Rebeck and former The Daily Show executive producer Ben Karlin are developing a show for HBO called Women's Studies. The series would follow the adventures of a former feminist "it girl" (Julie White) who takes a teaching position at a small liberal arts college in New England.

I feel like this could be amazing or could die a quick but painful death. I'm hoping for the former, given the quality of HBO's past shows, TONY winner Julie White's starring role, and the fact that Theresa Rebeck (pictured) has written

"As a writer, I have always considered it my job to describe the world as I know it; to struggle toward whatever portion of the truth is available to me. I am a feminist in that I believe that women are as fully human as men and that their experiences are as worthy of representation, as universally significant, as men’s. I believe that the hero’s journey is both male and female. I believe that, as a rule, women are as deeply flawed as men are. I’m interested in writing about the way both genders make mistakes and the ways we grow, or don’t grow."

See the full piece here; it's a great commentary on the struggles of female artists.

I am so excited that a blatantly feminist perspective might make it to tv.

2 comments:

WendyM said...

If only I had HBO...

Unknown said...

I need to know more about this. It's great!