Tuesday, June 16, 2009

I'm Single. What's wrong with me?

I'm a single woman. There are millions of people out there, but I just can't seem to conquer my overwhelming commitment phobia! What will happen to me?! I'm going to be alone forever!

While there clearly is anxiety and pressure to be in a relationship, I've never really understood why that is the case. I can certainly function sans serious relationship. I mean, look at me, I'm writing this blog all by myself! And, sometimes, when I'm not consumed with my worries about being alone forever, I'm capable of being productive and living my life. It's hard, but I just have to remember that the right person is out there. Maybe I sustain myself with sarcasm?

Society pressures women into thinking that they need to be in a relationship, and then works to give us endless tips and tricks for getting dates, flirting, and for breaking out of our trust, daddy, and commitment issues. The British online newspaper Times Online recently reported on a new discovery in the great mystery of relationships. Evidently, scientists are investigating whether there is a gene in women that decreases oxycotin, which supposedly helps lower the stress we feel when starting a relationship. Seriously?

In a way, it is sort of liberating that the media and society recognize that women have have varying desires for being in relationships, but I'm not sure why we have to say that when women have no desire to be in a commited relationship it's because of genes. Why can't we just accept that people are different and want different things? Maybe it's time to re-evaluate whether or not being in a committed relationship is the norm and ideal?

1 comment:

Danielle said...

Obviously you're single because you're a narcissistic young feminist.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2009-06-07/do-narcissists-have-better-sex/

http://www.thefrisky.com/post/246-girl-talk-the-two-kinds-of-single-woman/