Wednesday, June 17, 2009

What Women Want

This morning I was wandering around the internet, as usual, and I found this article on the American Prospect about a new online women's magazine called Double X. It discussed the pros and cons of these gendered magazines, and the issues that arise from trying to cater to women's interests. It also listed a number of other online magazines, which of course delighted me because now I have more websites to look at for silly advice about being a woman. I'll let you explore them for youself, but here are some highlights:

Shine: "What Kind of Burger is Right for You?" Of course, you need to know if you're a pear, apple, banana, or avocado. Frankly, that whole concept baffles me because I'm pretty sure that the last time I checked, I'm not from a family of produce.

Lemondrop: Well, first off, it's "sweet. tasty. tart." just like me! The writers at Lemondrop know what women are really interested in, like which famous men are not "well-endowed" and how to figure out a guy. Clearly heteronormative, the site makes a lot of assumptions about what women want to read and learn about based on gender norms. Every once and a while I saw a piece about more serious topics like breast cancer, sexual assault, and why it isn't weird for white women to like Asian men. All of those things are interesting to me, but, honestly, they were overshadowed by the immense amount of ridiculous items. I just have to say congratulations to the people at Lemondrop for their brilliant determination to keep women in a some shades of Cosmo hell of ignorance about the world. Although, maybe I'm wrong and we need to learn about this instead of the issues that impact our lives.

Some other websites to check out are Woman Up, Broadsheet, and Double X which seem to have more serious news stories.


No comments: