Thursday, June 25, 2009

Burger King? More Like Burger Bigot...

I debated over calling any attention to this ad just because I did not want it getting any extra airtime on my account... but then I figured that our audience would be so appalled by it that it would not do anything positive for Burger King.

Anyway, the ad speaks for itself, and I for one am absolutely appalled by the fact that Burger King's marketing department is comprised entirely of sexist idiots. This woman looks like she walked straight out of Stepford and into this ad. What is most alarming to me is the fact that she does not look happy or excited at all; in fact, she looks scared...

I can picture the meeting wherein the BK bigots decided to use this ad. "Hm... maybe endorsing rape is the best way to sell more BK value meals..." This makes me sick.

The BK motto is "Have it your way." I do not know about you, but this is certainly not the way I want to be marketed to... (And this is not the first sexist ad that the company has used. Just Google it.) So join me in a letter-writing campaign to BK. Tell them that this is not "your way," and then take your business elsewhere. This ad did succeed in blowing my mind away, and it took my desire to ever eat at Burger King again with it...

10 comments:

WendyM said...

Lately, their entire ad campaign has been absolutely disgusting. The last vulgar BK ad I saw was the "Sponge Bob Square Pants" where they hyper-sexualized young girls/women dancing around a cartoon character.

Who thinks this is a good idea? Seriously.

Laura said...

This is pretty sick. I would argue she doesn't look as scared as she does mindless. She certainly is not ENJOYING this, rather she looks like she has given up all self respect, and is accepting her fate.

GROSS

Tantra Flower said...

I commented on another site that she looks like a blow-up doll. She's wearing the same blank, mindless, generic, woman as object expression.

BK's ads have been disgusting for quite some time and the fact that they keep slipping further down the sewer is testament that they must be working. And this is troubling to say the least.

APerson said...

I agree--it's hard to decide when/how much to talk about creepy ads like this, because a big draw for Burger King is to get "wow aren't they edgy/freaky?" buzz and then later send out a (half-hearted) press release apology, as if they JUST realized they were being absolutely ridiculous cretins.

But yeah, this ad is particularly gross--and--obvious and--stupid.

Lauren said...

Thankfully, this sandwich is not available in the US--only Singapore.

Erin said...

Wow, this ad is crazy. I followed the link to other sites that are blogging about it, and of course some people are leaving comments like "Oh come on, they didn't actually mean it that way when they made the ad." It amazes me that people don't realize (or want to acknowledge?) that yes, there are advertising staffs/firms whose job is solely to think very carefully about what an ad will look like. So yes, the message is very much intentional.

Lauren said...

After sitting down to blog about this earlier, I've basically come to the conclusion that BK WANTS to start controversy. You don't release something that vulgar without understanding that it's going to make people talk. They don't even make an attempt at subtlety here.

Jenna said...

This is appalling. I will definitely be writing a letter.

Madison said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenna said...

http://www.facebook.com/wall.php?id=93693679589#/event.php?eid=93693679589&ref=mf

Look at the wall to see reactions. I have been blown away by some of the things people have said.