Thursday, June 18, 2009

The Bruno Challenge

Consider this a challenge... So I am not sure if you have heard, but Sacha Baron Cohen is hitting the silver screen again on July 10. His newest film, Bruno, portrays a gay Austrian man who comes to the United States, and in the process, magnifies and embodies every gay stereotype. What happened to quality cinema?

The Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) is wary about this film, and after contacting Universal Pictures to ask that Cohen deliver a serious message in support of the queer community at the end of the film, GLAAD's request was denied. The senior director of media programs for GLAAD, Rashad Robinson, said, "Those of us who saw the film agreed that you can't critique it as a single film because it's more like 90 minute of individual sketches. Some are funny and hit the mark but others hit the [gay] community instead."

Maybe Cohen and Universal have the best of intentions, but I am less confident in the general population's interpretation of the film. I am sure it will revamp a student's efforts to bully that struggling, effeminate boy at school. I am sure that some group of high school guys will bond over the film, and it will further heighten their masculinity complexes--complete with homophobic agendas. I am sure that some group of young women will laugh about the film together, imitate Bruno's speech, talk about wanting a gay guy best friend-- not realizing that one among them has been struggling to understand her sexual orientation for several years.

I am not sure that we are ready to joke about this... Queer people are still denied basic civil rights. Homophobia is just not funny. So back to the challenge-- I challenge you to not see this film. We do not need to financially contribute to this type of heterosexist media. Other feminists are calling attention to this potentially dangerous film, too. So how about you take that eight to ten dollars that you would have spent on this film, and make a donation to some GLBTQI center in your area. That will be money well-spent.

Please feel free to contact campusteam@feminist.org with any questions or comments.

2 comments:

Paige said...

I've been waiting for the day that Sacha Baron Cohen makes the film that "pokes fun at prejudices and acceptance of stereotypes" as is the hope with most of his media contributions. Instead I've seen countless interviews, publicity stunts, and two films that only continue to humorize hate. I hope readers take on this challenge. I certainly will.

Lauren said...

I just saw the preview for this movie--I WAS IN SHOCK! It just seems cruel, and no--I do not think we are ready to joke about this, nor do I think we ever will be. Challenge accepted, for sure.