Monday, June 15, 2009

Palmetto Pride?

I often struggle with my relationship with dear South Carolina. As both a University of South Carolina alumni and a feminist activist it was never hard to find reasons to fight in the Palmetto state. So it comes as no surprise to hear of former chairman of the state elections commission, Rusty DePass, racist comments about First Lady Michelle Obama.


Clearly in jest, you say? Silly me. How could I have missed the hilarity of your ignorance.

Sadly, comments much like the ones from ol' Rusty can easily be heard in South Carolina. There is so much to fight against that I am often torn between the need to stay and fight back and the refreshing sigh of relief to finally be in an area that "gets it."

There are many great organizations in South Carolina and across the South that are working to fight back against long standing hatred and ignorance. I can only hope that one day the Rusty Depasses of the world will be the exception and not the norm.

No comments: