Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Abstinence Only Programs have a Lasting Effect on Teens


I recently download a study from Legal Momentum entitled Sex, Lies & Stereotypes: How Abstinence-Only Programs Harm Women and Girls. The file was extensive and inside I found information about students who have actually undergone these programs. I already knew that abstinence only education featured lies and a biased approach, but what shocked me about the program is its lasting effect on teens.

“My exposure to abstinence-only education has certainly affected how I view my sexual activity and my relationships. There is an underlying piece of me that I don’t know if I’ll ever be fully comfortable with sex, even after I am married, because of the exposure I’ve had to these messages that sex, and enjoying sex, is not okay.” (Dan from Illinois)

Wow. Clearly, these programs have been proven as ineffective, but now they are impacting teens' ability to have fulfilling relationships. Perhaps Dan will never be able to enjoy a normal romantic relationship because of abstinence only programming. Just another reason these programs that lie and deceive teens should be de-funded as soon as possible.

Demand that your tax dollars go to scientifically-proven comprehensive sexual health education programs!

2 comments:

Jenna said...

I agree with you. There is a sort-of unspoken shame in abstinence-only education that makes sex seem like a negative activity. Is that religiously influence too?

Unknown said...

I'm from Germany and for me it was normal that we discussed the sex things in our biology lessons. So I'm really bemazed every time I hear about "Abstinence only Education" or people which support that.

At the moment I'm completing an Internship at NCAC (National Coalition Against Censorship) so I've read a lot about it - certainly.

If you are interested in reading more about it you could just join our blog:

ncacblog.wordpress.com

On our blog there is shown a infographic about Abstinence-only Education. It's very interesting!

We are glad about a lot comments as well as a lively discussion!

Greetings
Jana