Thursday, July 30, 2009

Rape survivors forced to pay for their own exams

I know this is an uncharacteristic second blog post for me in one day, but this issue needs all the press-time it can get if we are going to make a difference. Did you know that some states make rape survivors pay for their exams? Wait. Let me say that again in case you missed it. Some states make rape survivors pay for their exams. Okay. Got it?

WHAT?! Honestly, society, what are we doing? Evidently there are “loopholes” in the Violence Against Women Act that allow for such an injustice to occur. After telling other individuals in the office about my shock, I found out that some women in the office already knew about this. Then I wondered why I had not known about it. Then I wondered what we can do about it.

The tests can cost the rape survivor up to $1,200. It sickens me to think that anyone profits from rape. In some states, the rape survivor’s health insurance (if she or he has it) is charged only if she or he does not submit a police report. In other states, the loopholes are a bit hazier. What can we do right now? Write to your representatives in Congress and tell them that we need to cut the loopholes from the Violence Against Women Act to make sure that no future rape survivors are charged for the crimes against them.

Please contact campusteam@feminist.org with any questions or comments.
Photo courtesy of www.flickr.com

No comments: