Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Hair we go

So long, hair. With assistance from Tania, Val, and my new friend Ray, I'm the proud new owner of a mohawk.

It's surprisingly liberating.

As a college freshman, I read Jennifer Reid Maxcy Myhre's essay "One Bad Hair Day Too Many, Or the Hairstory of an Androgynous Young Feminist" in an intro to Women's Studies class [You can read the essay on p. 84 of the Google Books preview] .

Myhre's buzz cut was low-maintenance, so she had more time to change the world. And it presented a public challenge to traditional notions of femininity and gender.

Makes sense. Hair and hair removal is time-consuming and distracts us from the more important problems facing our society. But please. I have people to impress.

After I wagered my hair for a fundraiser, I was anxious about losing it. Long hair is attractive, sexy, and feminine, despite the long showers and chronic tardiness it begets. I'd look mannish without it. My long-suffering boyfriend would pretend not to know the hairless lady standing next to him. Any job prospects would wither away. Buildings might explode. The stars would misalign.

So yesterday, Tania, Val and I grilled the hair stylist down the street about the ins and outs of mohawks. I decided to come in later in the afternoon, with many reservations. I envisioned myself panicking as the clippers made the first cut. Derelicts and basket cases do this sort of thing, I thought.

Several pounds of hairspray later, I walked out of the salon with a gravity-defying mohawk. Some folks were less than amused, but I did receive compliments from women on the street.

I welcome the change. It makes me reassess femininity and the way I feel about my body. Additionally, having funny hair makes everything a little more humorous (particularly for humorless feminists like myself). I am too Type A for my own good, and there's nothing like stubble on one's head to put things in perspective.

Remaining stylish sans hair will be a challenge. The next few months will come with their own hair troubles. But for now, I am pleased with my mohawk. It's a good learning experience, and I highly recommend it. And I'm now of the opinion that my feminist babies, should they ever materialize, would look terrific with a mohawk.

Photo credit: OakleyOriginals on Flickr

4 comments:

Tania said...

I love it, love it, LOVE IT! :D

Laura Ponchick said...

I should have known there were feminist implications behind the mowhawk. :)

WendyM said...

You rock it, Danielle! Way to show the patriarchy who's boss! =-p

alliemcd said...

Danielle, that takes some serious ovaries! Awesome!