Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Meet FMF DC Intern: Alison

Hello Choices Campus Blog Readers!

My name is Alison and I just arrived at the Washington DC offices of the Feminist Majority Foundation! I will be a News and Campus Intern this summer, and I plan on frequently updating this blog with feminist-y rants, raves, and rabble-rousings.

I am currently working on my B.A. in Women and Gender Studies, with minors in Political Science, Education, and Writing (because I’m a little over-achiever), at the University of California, Davis. Davis produces freaking awesome feminists, like my cross-country fellow FMF intern Amanda Lotspike and fall 2009 DC FMF intern Ali Bollbach.

I am a sitting ASUCD senator at UC Davis, where I bicker with 11 other students every Thursday night into the wee hours of Friday morning about how we should spend the ten million dollars of student fees we receive each year. I believe that women need more representation in both student government and state and national government if women’s equality is ever really going to be achieved. Everyone who is able should seek a position of power from which they can combat the inequities they have experienced because of that power. I plan to spend some of my time here preparing a toolkit that will help FMLA members get involved in their school’s government.

During the times that I’m not working headlong towards those goals, I like to “chillax” by reading comic books, watching sci-fi tv shows (Joss Whedon is my feminist master!), and frequenting Jezebel. I look forward to this summer-long blog adventure!

2 comments:

Angie said...

comic books and Joss Whedon FTW!!!!!

Amanda L said...

woooo!!!! welcome to the FMF family!