Monday, August 17, 2009

Be A Smart Rider

Do you ever have one of those weekends where it seems like things are just not going to go right for you? I had one of those this past weekend.

An incident that happened to me this weekend that just did not help the way things were going for me is that I am almost positive that on my way home on the Metro, someone swiped some money and my Metro card out of my purse. It was a crowded train and I had these two things when I got on the train and could not locate them when I got off.

Even if someone didn't steal these item, I thought it would make a good blog post to talk about ways you can be safe when traveling in the city, particularity on mass transit like the Metro or Subway.

Here are some helpful tips, most of which are from Frommer's travel guides :
  • Make sure to bring enough fare. Bring more than enough, in case you get on the wrong train and have to take another or the fare is more than you think.
  • If you feel uncomfortable due to another rider(s), trust your gut instinct and move to the last door of the car. When the train arrives at the next station, get out of that car and into the next car. DO NOT GO BETWEEN CARS. It is dangerous and against the law. and have to take another or the fare is more than you think.
  • Keep your wallet in your front pocket, or if you carry a bag, keep your wallet on the bottom of your bag.
  • Cross camera and purse straps over one shoulder, across your front, and under the other arm.
  • Keep bags in your lap or between your feet, with one foot through a strap and up against the bag itself.
  • Carry money in several pockets, so if one is picked, you won't be without cash.
  • Avoid subways late at night, and splurge on a cab or take a bus.
  • Crowded subway cars can be perfect breeding grounds for antisocial behavior. Some people will use this opportunity to touch or pinch other passengers close to them. If this happens to you, make a fuss in any language you choose. Point at the offender and chastise them in a loud voice. The offender will probably just slink away.
Hopefully these tips will come in handy for you and you won't end up like me without a Metro card and missing a few dollars.

Photo courtesy of Brent and Marilynn on flikr.com

No comments: