Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Feminist Friendly Fantasy Movies, Please


Okay, we all know how popular the vampire fantasy series Twilight is, right? And in a few months, the second installation New Moon will be out in theatres. Now I'm not going get into a rant about the anti-feminist message and the glorifying intimate partner violence/stalking behavior that exists in the series; it's been done. But what I am going to discuss is the lack of fantasy movies with women taking the lead...that doesnt promote women's submission.

Many women are the main protagonists in fantasy books, but are generally unknown in mainstream media. Often, when a fantasy movie does make it onto the big screen, they are of stories revolving around men (ie, Harry Potter, Eragon). And even though many have inspiring women characters (Hermoine Granger, Luna Lovegood), they are in a supporting role at best. And the ones with women as the lead characters are often the ones in need of rescuing or protection.
Now, dont get me wrong. I love the fantasy genre. I grew up on The Chronicles of Narnia and The Dragonlance Series as a little girl. And I love the Harry Potter series and the Inheritence Trilogy. I even own the DVD set for the Lord of the Rings trilogy. However, I always wondered: when will fantasy series with strong feminist girls be on the big screen?

Yes, we have Twilight; it's a start, if something. But I know of at least two other women's centered fantasy series which I'm sure would be successful hits if they were put on the big screen: The Song of the Lioness and the Protector of the Small quartets from popular fantasy writer Tamora Pierce. Both are about strong-willed young girls who challenge established gender norms and classism in their worlds by entering in the male-dominated world of knighthood.

Rumors are starting that Tamora Pierce wants the first installation of her Lioness quartet series, Alanna: The Adventure Begins to be made into a movie. If it does, it will be a happy day for Tamora Piece fans and feminists alike.

Pictures courtesy of njyac.org and princessdsmusiconline.com

2 comments:

Nell Gwynne said...

Love, loved, loved Tamora Pierce's books when I was growing up. This would be such a good movie series.

Ariel said...

I disagree that Twilight is a step forward, but I am totally with you on Tamora Pierce! Also, the Sabriel-Lirael-Abhorsen trilogy. Soooo. Goooood.