Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Sexy abstinence t-shirts

Bonnie sent me a link to this post on Sociological Images about some pro-abstinence shirts that say "I'm sexy enough to keep you waiting." The shirts are from the Candie's Foundation, an organization that is working to prevent teen pregnancies.

It seems to me that these shirts a little bit of a mixed message. If being abstinent is supposed to be sort of empowering because you have control of your body, why is the message focusing on the body and attractiveness instead of intelligence or other qualities? I mean, I was under the impression that waiting to have sex was something that had more to do with thought or personal morals rather than attractiveness.

Maybe the shirts should say something more like "It's my decision to wait for sex" or "I am fulfilled without having sex." If you gave me more time I could come up with something more catchy, I promise.

Also, there is really no in-depth discussion about birth control. Yes, we all know that abstinence is one way to not get pregnant, but we also know that abstinence-only education and knowledge is not actually helping reduce rates of unwanted pregnancy and transmission of STIs.
Photo Courtesy www.flickr/picturesofthings

No comments: