Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Yet Another Reason Why I Don't Like PETA


Earlier this summer I blogged about how annoying I think PeTA's campaing strategies have become. I first wrote about their campaign to boycott the running of the bulls in Pamplona. They dubbed it "Running of the Nudes", wow how very creative PeTA.

Well, while browsing some of my blogs, I ran into another reason that I am starting to seriously dislike this organization. Feministe posted about the new billboard put up by PeTA in Jacksonville, Florida. The billboard reads, "Save the Whales, Lose the Blubber: Go Vegetarian." It has the image of a curvy woman in a bikini showing her "blubber". Really PeTA? Why must you continue to use your cause in a way that neglects others?

As I said in my prior blog, I think this organization has lost touch with their initial intentions. I am completely uninterested in supporting this organization. As far as I am concerned, I am putting PeTA on my list of numorous reasons to why body image is an issue for women. How anti-woman to put a billboard up to publically humiliate women of various sizes. A website, Calorielab has responses of people after they see the billboard. Most are of disgust and embarrassment. Yet, some still stay strong in their support for PeTA.
I think its sad that progressive organizations are becoming competitive. Instead of togetherness toward the greater good, there is sexism, classism, and "fat-hatred" according to Feministe. I think the point of my rant is to question the point of PeTA and to point out how they are using women, once again, to further their movement.

No comments: