Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Vintage Dating Tips

So, several weeks ago, my mom and one of my sisters came to visit me and my sister brought me a fabulous present, an old dating guide (you know, because it's ironic to give someone working at a feminist organization a guide to getting a man to marry you).

It's called All the Rules: Time-tested Secrets for Capturing the Heart of Mr. Right. It's got all of the goods on how to behave to get a man to marry you (because who doesn't love heteronormativity). Oh, and there's also a website.

Well, Maria and I have been reading excerpts every once and a while just for funnziess, and we thought it might be fun to share one with you! So, here's part of "Rule #13: Don't See Him More Than Once or Twice a Week," a rule that I, of course, follow faithfully:

Most men fall in love faster than women. They also fall out of love faster.....
To keep a man from getting too much too soon, don't see him more than once or
twice a week for the first month or two. Let him think you have "other plans,"
that he is not the only man or interest in your life.
In summary, if you want to get married, act like you don't care at all. Remember, men LOVE the hunt, they just don't know that they are really the prey. Remember, the prize for following the rules is marriage. Is it fair to say that I could use this book as a guide for how to not get married? Because as Bonnie just said "That's not much of a prize."
Photo courtesy of www.flickr/zabara_tango

No comments: