Monday, August 3, 2009

Am I "good woman?"

For a Monday morning, I'm feeling pretty philosophical. I was reading through stuff on the Huffington Post like I usually do, and I stumbled upon a post by this middle schooler about what makes a good man. While the fact that he thinks that being a "good" man is about way more than just being athletic and attractive is important, it really got me thinking about if there is a similar thing among women.

Do we have a group of characteristics that we think of as making us either "good" or "bad" women?

Honestly, if someone told me that I was a "good woman" I would automatically get defensive because I associate that with the whole hegemony of patriarchy. You know, the whole a "good woman" has babies and is subservient to her husband idea.

I don't know if I could ever be told that, especially by a man, and not think that it was extremely patronizing and essentilizing. Obviously I have a uterus, but it should be pretty clear that I am not just a walking uterus, so why qualify my "goodness" as being related to my "womanness?" Can't I just exist, as a woman, and be perfectly good at being a woman without fulfilling some sort of standards? And can't I be "good" just as a person?

The things that I think of making someone a "good woman," if I have to use that term, are just qualities that I think of as making someone a good person. Why do we need qualities that make someone a good gendered person? Isn't having that just driving us towards stereotypes? I mean, when I think about this "good men" idea, I think of it as being defined in relation to women, and that presents a whole other group of problems.

Am I crazy, or is just not possible to use "good woman" and not have it seem anti-feminist? Do we need to reappropriate "good woman" or redefine it?
Photo courtesy of www.flickr/spaceninja

2 comments:

May said...

Great post. I'm with you that being a "good woman" in this culture implies staying in the box that patriarchy has labeled "woman" instead of being the best human you can be. I personally don't like the term and wouldn't be interested in reclaiming it. I'm much more interested in evaluating myself as a person rather than a gender.

Laura said...

"Why do we need qualities that make someone a good gendered person?"

That is such a good question! Why are there different attributes for "good women" and "good men"? Shouldn't we all just aim to be "good people"?

I agree that I would probably be offended as well if someone, especially a man, called me a "good woman." I also associate it with subservience to men. But I don't think we need to reclaim the term "good woman." I just think we should start promoting "good person."